One of my favorite things to do for myself postpartum is to soak in the bath with my postpartum herbal bath to support healing. Water is so incredibly healing for me postpartum and through my motherhood experience. There is a saying, “Just Add Water”. It rings true for any postpartum or motherhood challenge I’ve been faced with really… Drink water, shower, soak in the tub, go to a lake, watch a river, listen to water, water play for the kids or bath time for the baby. Water offers up an incredible reset for me and my family. If I am moving through a stressful moment in parenting, feeling down or even need a quick pick me up I always think “Just Add Water” first. It really can get the job done fast and usually when you are postpartum it needs to happen fast.
Not only is taking a postpartum herbal bath a mood lifter it is also supportive to your physical recovery and healing. The herbs in this blend have incredible anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and healing properties. These herbs can be found on mountain rose herbs, your local herbal shop or co-op grocery store. Please source organic when possible, locally grown or from a trusted resource.
The herbs in all of their healing glory…
- Comfrey leaf – anti-inflammatory, pain reliever, encourages new cell growth
- Lavender flowers – anti-inflammatory, promotes relaxation
- Calendula flowers – anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, promotes wound healing
- Rosemary leaf – anti-oxidant, uplifting
- Plantain leaf – anti-inflammatory, relieves pain and itching
- Sea salt or Epsom salt – anti-microbial, wound healing properties
This Postpartum Herbal bath is easy to make and prep ahead of time and makes for a lovely gift. I love a baby shower gift that is truly for the mom during postpartum. What they really need and what they don’t really know that they will need. I like to make a lot of this too because baths were an essential component to my postpartum healing. If you don’t have a very comfortable bath you can always downsize and make these as sitz baths just for your bottom.
Postpartum Herbal Bath
Tools Recommended: Cheese cloth, Twine & Measuring Cups
Postpartum Herbal Bath
- Cheese Cloth
- 1 cup Comfrey
- 2 cups Lavender
- 1/2 cup Calendula
- 1 cup Rosemary
- 1 cup Plantain Leaf
- 10 lbs Epsom Salt or Sea Salt
- Mix the herbs together and add the salt separately or mix it all together. Make satchels (about 2 cups if you mix salt into it) with the cheese cloth and twine, like a large tea bag basically. You can also steep it in your bath or make a concentrate of it over the stove top and then add that to the bath. I did both depending upon the amount of time I had. Both ways work. Warning: If you add the mix directly into the bath it’ll make your bath and drain yucky. You want to steep about 2 cups per bath. If you mix the salt into it. Less if you’re going just herbs and adding salt separately.