Friends and family call it “sugar low”, I just call it, “feed me now”. Have you ever seen those snickers commercials where they explain that “you’re not yourself when you’re hungry” well that is me, I turn into the hulk, a werewolf.. okay you get the idea. I am allergic to almonds and lactose intolerant and I have a really hard time finding quick healthy snacks I can just pick up and go in a hurry when I need to tame the beast! Feeling motivated, quite possibly after an intervention, I set out to make a snack I could have around for that time in dire need.
I did something this year that I totally recommend to you, I pureed my pumpkins! We do not have children, so we didn’t carve our pumpkins.. I hacked them up, roasted them in a pan and pureed the heck out of them. Now I have all of this fresh organic pumpkin puree in the freezer and I have no idea what to do with it other than make pie and muffins. And… just like that these vegan pumpkin carrot pecan bars were born. I hope you enjoy them and they help tame your picky healthy hungry beast inside of you too.
(vegan + gluten free)
1 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
2 cups pumpkin, roasted and pureed
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup fresh orange juice, about 1/2 large orange
1 cup pecans, chopped
4 carrots, steamed and pureed
1 teaspoon sunflower lecithin
1/2 cup vegan protein powder, I use vegan protein factors, complete vegan protein from pea, rice, hemp & chia
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Slowly mix ingredients together in no specific order and stir until everything is evenly mixed.
3. Line your choice of baking dish with parchment paper and place your gooey mixture on. Spread mixture out with a spatula until your mixture is about 1/2 inch think. Square the edges to create the shape of a large rectangle.
4. Bake in your oven for 20 minutes and let cool before cutting.
5. Store in beeswax wrapped bags and freeze if desired. They will last in your refrigerator for 3-5 days.