Postpartum nutrition is oftentimes overlooked as we focus so heavily on our pregnancy’s nutrition. Postpartum depletion is common but not normal and is a sign of malnourishment and nutrient deficiency. In this podcast episode Haley Miskowiec and Ella chat about postpartum nutrition and navigating nourishment when your baby comes. It is something that we can prepare for and avoid the ever so common but not normal, Postpartum Depletion.
In my opinion, you are Postpartum for Life and it is important to prepare and honor your postpartum period for rest and recovery. This will include finding support for nourishing you and you family during this time. Food is medicine and can be a tool to help you recover and thrive in postpartum. If you plan to breastfeed too, this takes a new level of conscious consumption to fuel your body properly for feeding your baby. Supporting your nutrient needs during breastfeeding goes beyond eating enough calories and drinking enough water although those two play a major role.
Prepare for Postpartum Nourishment
- Start a MealTrain
- Meal preparation and invest in filling your freezer
- Easy snacks and go-to quick meals
- Line up Support to help feed you in your home!
- Outsource grocery shopping to delivery or pick up option
- Create lists for easeful grocery shopping
- Meal Subscriptions of delivery services
- Pack your nightstand with snacks
- Water bottle with a straw
- Double your meals in your third trimester and batch cook
Haley’s Favorite Postpartum Nourishment Ideas
- Energy Balls made with dates, nuts, seeds, etc.
- Trail mix packs
- Unsweetened Coconut Water
- Bone Broths or Mushroom Broths
- Collagen Peptides
- Apple Sauce Packets
- Fruit bars
- Smoothie Packs
- Soups & Broths
- Animal Based Proteins that are rich in Iron, Copper & B12 & B Vitamins
- Soft cooked vegetables
- Omegas – Sardines, Fish
- Probiotic Rich Foods
- Hydration – (not just water! You need electrolytes: magnesium, sodium, potassium)
Ella’s Favorite Postpartum Nourishment Ideas
- Savory Waffles
- Breakfast Burritos
- Buckwheat Cacao Pancakes
- Chocolate Date Balls
- Superfood Energy Bars
- Lactation Cookies
- Honey Banana Bread
- My favorite Stew Recipe
- My Review of The First Forty Days Cookbook
You deserve Nourishment! You are a priority! It is your job to show up for your baby and you need energy to fuel the challenging job of parenting. “You have to show up and take care of them at 2:00am, 3:00am and 5:00am… We have to take care of ourselves so we can show up to be the best mom that little one deserves. We prioritize them so don’t forget to prioritize you so that way you show up for them!” – Haley Miskowiec
Ask for Help! And Go Pro when you need to! That could be hiring Haley or a prenatal nutritionist and/or postpartum doula to help you prepare meals postpartum! Reach out to Haley here!